A Word Game
Version Date: January 1, 2014
WordCarom challenges a player to make words from a randomly selected
set of six letters (placed in the wheel) and a randomly selected vowel
(placed in the center of the wheel). The six letters might include
Here are the rules:
- Words are made by choosing letters from adjacent boxes.
- Words must be at least three letters long.
- The same box may be chosen as often as you like, including
choosing the same box twice (to get EE, LL,TT, etc.).
- You may not choose a letter from a box that is not adjacent to
the box containing the previously chosen letter.
- Create as many words as possible from the available letters.
- Plurals, tense, and actor forms all count. Thus, hen, hens, deal,
dealer, and hunt, hunted are all acceptable.
- When the first player cannot create any more words from the
wheel, the second player can poach and add as many words as possible
before starting on a new wheel.
Simple scoring counts one point per letter of each word created.
Mega scoring exponentiates points for each letter:
- 3 letter word = 7 points
- 4 letter word = 15 points
- 5 letter word = 31 points
- 6 letter word = 63 points
- 7 letter word = 127 points
- 8 letter word = 255 points
Study the path of the letters for the creation of each of the following
words and you'll see how the game works.
Words that can be made from this wheel:
Words that cannot be made from this wheel because two or more of the
letters were taken from boxes that are not adjacent:
- learn (A and R are not adjacent)
- read (A and D are not adjacent)
- near (A and R are not adjacent)
An Excel spreadsheet is
available that will generate the populated WordCarom wheel for you.
Instructions are also included. The generator selects the wheel letters
randomly from 23 letters of the alphabet (omitting Q, X, and Z)
together with the vowels A, E, I, O, and U (omitting the occasional
role of Y as a vowel). When the generator populates two or more boxes
with the same letter, you can repopulate the wheel by pressing F9 a few
times. To avoid contention between players, choosing a fixed number of
recalculations is recommended (10 is a nice number).
A gamesheet that has space for
ten games is also available. The gamesheet can be printed out and
the WordCarom wheels can be populated in advance using the generator,
even manually, so that kids (or adults) can play the game on car trips
or in waiting rooms. The gamesheet requires Acrobat Reader or a similar
reader of pdf files.
Space is included on the gamesheet to play 10 games and to write up to
16 words for each
For the younger set, there is a child's gamesheet with
larger WordCarom wheels and larger writing areas for the words. This
version allows three games per sheet and sixteen words per game. It
also features instructions. Once again, Acrobat Reader or a similar
pdf-reading program is needed.
Other word games:
DoDotHot | Extractor
| Build a Word | Double
Up | Cross 3 | Claim a Word
2014 by Robert Harris | How
to cite this page
w w . v i r t u a l s a l t . c o m
About the author:
Harris is a writer
and educator with more than 25 years of teaching experience at the
and university level. RHarris at virtualsalt.com