Writing with Clarity and
Robert A. Harris
A Guide to Rhetorical Devices for Contemporary Writers, 2nd Edition
December 28, 2017
The second edition of my rhetoric book is published by Routledge.
Writing with Clarity and Style: A Guide to Rhetorical
Contemporary Writers, 2nd Ed.
Robert A. Harris
Taylor and Francis / Routledge
ISBN 978-1-138-56009-3 paper. 219 pages
Now better than ever! One of the most in-depth collections of its kind, this book
carefully designed to teach you how to use 60 rhetorical devices, which
are profusely illustrated with hundreds of examples. This is a
learning tool--not a handbook.
Copies are also available from Amazon.com:
- The book is designed to give writers a set of practical tools for
writing clear, interesting, and effective.
- Discussions and examples show how the proper use of rhetoric can
not a foe, of good writing and better communication.
- Learn how the devices presented in the book can give your writing
freshness, and texture to make it more appealing.
- The book is written in clear, easily accessible language.
- Many paired examples present the same ideas with and without
devices so that you can compare the difference.
- Most examples show the use of the devices in contemporary writing.
- Unlike handbooks, this book presents a full discussion of each of
devices, how it can be used, and how it affects tone and meaning.
- Extensive exercises will help you practice and apply each of the
Learning by doing is emphasized throughout the text.
- End-of-chapter "Style Check" sidebars explore numerous aspects of
- Each term includes a pronunciation guide.
- Five fully annotated appendices show before and after examples
use of the devices in these contemporary writing situations: newspaper
editorials, business memoranda, social worker reports, graduate
school admissions essays, and short stories. Exercises in these
provide similar passages that you can improve by using the devices
in the book.
- An index and an alphabetical table of contents make the book
a reference tool, if you insist!
2017 by Robert Harris | How
to cite this page
w w . v i r t u a l s a l t . c o m
About the author:
Harris is a writer
and educator with more than 25 years of teaching experience at the
and university level. RHarris at virtualsalt.com